Dry beans – soak in advance:
1/4 C black beans
1/4 C dark red kidney beans
1/4 C garbanzo beans
1/4 C pinto beans
¾ C rice of your preference
1 – 10 oz pkg frozen corn, thawed
** I prefer equivalent amount of fresh corn removed from cob – about 3 ears
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, chopped (don’t forget to save the core for birdie pleasure)
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 tsp cumin
1 T chili powder
1 pinch dried or a palm full of fresh chopped parsley
Whole wheat tortillas
Your favorite quesadilla cheese, shredded (omit for fid portion)
Sour cream and fresh pico de gallo or your favorite salsa for serving (humans only)
**If making for the humans only, substituting canned beans will save you time. However, canned beans contain sodium that should be avoided when serving to your fids.
- Start beans soaking the night before then cook according to package directions.
- With about 30 minutes left on your bean cooking time, start your rice so they are done about the same time. Stir garlic, oil, cumin, chili powder & parsley (if using dried) into water for rice. Add rice & bring to a boil, reduce heat & cover. Simmer until liquid is gone & rice is done. Stir in fresh parsley (if using).
- In a lightly oiled large skillet over medium heat, gently sauté bell pepper & tomato. Stir in corn, beans & rice & heat everything through.
- Remove mixture to a bowl & wipe out skillet.
- Assemble quesadillas, adding cheese (for people only) & bean mixture between 2 tortillas. Brown on both sides until cheese is melted and serve with your favorite toppings!
***For your fid’s dining pleasure, try rolling up their portion in a small piece of tortilla & toast (seam side down 1st to help it stay together) in the skillet. They’ll love chewing it open to see what’s inside!
Leftover quesadilla filling can be frozen for future use!