The weather is cooling off & pumpkins are a-plenty right now!! Take advantage & make up some of this tasty Fall soup. Also, while grocers are stocked up, buy extra pumpkin & prepare as you wish then freeze for later! Don't forget to toast up the seeds for a yummy treat that kids & fids will all enjoy.
· 2 red bell peppers
· 2 jalapeño peppers
· 2 T EVOO
· 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
· 1 (about 2 pounds) pumpkin, peeled, seeded, cut into 1” chunks
· 3 T all-purpose flour
· 2 tsp ground cumin
· 1 tsp chili powder
· 1 ear (1 cup) corn, kernels removed
· 32 oz low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
· 1 T fresh oregano leaves
· 3 green onions or leeks, sliced (for people portion garnish only)
· 1/2 C sour cream (optional)
To roast the peppers:
- Preheat oven to broil. Place the red peppers & jalapeños on a baking sheet & cook under the broiler, turning occasionally, until the skins blacken, about 10 minutes.
- Seal the charred peppers in a plastic bag for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Peel, stem, seed & cut peppers into 1/2-inch pieces. Set aside.
To make the soup:
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces & cook until browned. Remove the chicken & keep warm.
- Add the pumpkin & sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour, cumin, chili powder & cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the corn, peppers, chicken, broth, & oregano & bring the soup to a boil. Reduce heat to low & simmer about 30 minutes. Garnish with sour cream for the humans, if desired, & serve hot.
** Set aside a scoop (a bite of chicken won't hurt!) for the fiddies to cool before serving!